Click here for the latest on RunEatGossip »

Saturday, February 04, 2012

S.I.C.K.

There must be some streak of masochism in human being. Otherwise, why would one willingly subject themselves to torture what more pay for it! And that was how I found myself when I went through an hour of hell. Actually it seems like more than an hour and it never seems to end.

To start from the beginning, the dashing and hunk, IMD has an ongoing weekly training session which he very aptly named S.I.C.K training at the Queenstown stadium.  From the Facebook page, I knew it was some sort of circuit training but exactly what, I have absolutely no idea. So being the typical kaypoh I have to find out. So on Thursday night, and bored of running around the neighbourhood, I made my way down to Queenstown Stadium. 

The brief from the coach aka torturer was do 3 rounds of warm up and 4 rounds of faster pace run or what he called a "time trial". So I went all out which was a bad idea considering that I have not been doing much running  nowadays not to say speed run. And after 1 round, I was KO and had to slow down drastically. 

And then came the real torture! After a brief warm up, the sadistic coach with a smile on his face asked everybody to go do a fast round! And this was followed by a static exercise. Now I fancy myself quite good at push up but after the 400m run and without much rest, I found to my horror that I couldn't do the push up. And the runs and exercise continue! Round and round and back to the static exercises which could be push up, lunges or anything that coach fancies. We were literally not left with any time to breathe.

Of course, I got smart and started running at easy pace so that most of the rounds, I was one of the last few to finish but that still left me gasping and panting when doing the static exercise or what he calls "circuit"

Anyway, I am proud to say I survived S.I.C.K. and being a masochist, will probably go back for the torture again.

S.I.C.K. training is conducted by Ben Swee, a qualified running coach/Ironman/Ultramarathoner at Queenstown Stadium every Thursday (except when there are S-League matches) at 8 pm. A fee of $5.00 is payable. S.I.C.K training is suitable for masochist and sadists. It is also suitable for those who are looking to pass IPPT, NAPFA test, lose weight, lose fat and build speed. Finally it is highly recommended for ladies and some guys who want to get up close to the hunky and charming coach aka torturer. For more information, check out the Facebook page.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds doable on your own, but requires a great deal of self discipline. This is really sick. haha. I ran MR again today. 9.15km from end to end in the trail. I hope the distance measured is good. But a slow 8min/km pace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, IMDZ, I was at MR on Saturday. Maybe can run together some time. This Saturday we doing the Mt Faber, Telok Blangah, Kent Ridge, Labrador route. You interested? Email me or PM me on FB.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin