Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2009

1, 2, 3

Actually apart from the pain in the shin, there are another 2 injuries on my left foot. But being the stingy fella that I am, I am not going to see a doctor this time round and rely on the good old www and self-diagnosis and treatment.

1. The pain in the shin which has been there for the past 3 weeks or so is definitely shin splint. At first I thought I had hit something maybe a table leg but since I don't recall anything of that sort and there is no blue black, broken skin or swelling or even intense pain, that cannot be so, leaving only 2 other options which is a stress fracture or just shin splint. At this point in time, I would like to believe that it is just shin splint and haven't develope into the more serious stress fracture since the pain is still at level 4 and only when I walk or run.

2. The second injury is more easily identifiable. Pain especially in the morning immediately after waking up and pain upon standing up after sitting down. And the pain is on the heel which means ta da......plantar fasciitis. This one I know has been threatening to burst through for some time as I can feel the ocassional pain but at level 1, who cares? It is now level 3 or maybe because I have stopped running, my body is now more sensitive to every little nuances that is there.

3. Finally and I hope, the last one is something that is not so easily identifiable and which has been there the longest. On the ball of the foot, just slightly on the outstep, since about 2 months ago, there has been this sort of ant bite or electric shock every now and then. It isn't that painful, just plain irritating but tolerable and had me puzzled for some time. It had to be some sort of nerve problem and finally while googling on the plantar fasciitis, came across this: quote "This can give an electric shock-like sharp brief pain" Bingo! According to the info on the web, this is caused when a nerve is trapped when it pass through the fascia.

And the treatment for all these? Treatment is simply RICE or at least thats what all the website said, unless it doesn't resolve within a reasonable period of time in which case it is really time to see the Doc. So far it has been more than 10 days since I stopped running and with icing, heat and everything else thrown in hopefully and cross fingers that will be all I need.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the pains in your left leg/foot. Take lots of rest and get better! Just out of curiosity, could your left leg be longer than your right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Prof,
    I haven't check - never thought of it in fact but I think the spate of injuries is becos I'm overcompensating for my weaker right leg

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin