Click here for the latest on RunEatGossip »

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Team Mekko @ Suburban Run

The second of 3 run events that we (meaning me & M) will be taking part as a team so volia Team Mekko! No prize for guessing what M stands for:)

It wasn't a good run today. I like to do a race giving off my best and enjoying myself. It doesn't mean I will go all out but I least I try to put in more efforts and not run it like a training run. Unfortunately though, running as a team means each team members may have different objectives or goals and so it panned out that way today as well.

Originally, the plan was for us to run at each own pace as the rules for the team event was that combined time counts. So I had grand vision of finally getting my sub 50. I figured with a flat route, not so many runners - this was my best opportunity to bust the 50mins limit. However, that idea was put to bed when at the start line the MC announced not once but many time over that team members should run and finish together. After the sour face at the Valentine Day's Run, when I heard the MC, I knew my goal was kaput. Going it alone was going to lead to another sour face for the rest of the day so sighed.....

Still this being a race, hopefully with some encouragement, she could go a bit faster. Fat chance. We crossed the start line 35 secs after flag off which was bad enough but 50metres down the road, I realised she was far behind. I stopped and waited for her and asked her the wrong question. "Why so slow?". Immediately I got a retort - "so fast for what!". Sighed again... It was going to be a long long run:( I decided to run off and leave her alone and went until the first drink station. Now worried what hell I was going to get I decided to stop and wait for her. To her credit, she did try to push herself a bit faster and so from that point onward we ran side by side for most of the route abide in silence. The sun was out and it was hot. On the returned leg, just after crossing the bridge over TPE, I remarked on it and [insert big big sigh] got an earful and told to 'go away don't pressure her'. Moved away from the fierce hot wrath and ran alone for a while before she somehow decided to catch up and we continued in silence for some more distance until we came to the 8km marker where I made the mistake of opening my mouth again and telling her only 2 more km to go. [insert extra big sigh]. Got another chewing off for making her run so fast at the beginning. [insert super loud sigh]. What fast? The start pace was probably like 6.30min/km certainly very achievable by her standard. We finally crossed the finish line together (yah for those who need to know... hand in hand) in 56:33mins.

So was she happy? Nope - she promptly declared that in future she will run alone and will not run anymore team event with moi..

So it wasn't a good race for me. Good flat route, adequate water point, not very big crowd and nothing to show for it. Well console myself at least the goodie wasn't too bag. A Bod singlet, an unique medal, a cap (and in my colour too), an Uncle Toby bar and plenty of Milo, drinks and bananas.

1 comment:

  1. Yo!!! Indeed I think she did well for her standard leh....ya la, so fast for what?? heheheh..

    Well Done M :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin